Monday, June 3, 2013

A great podcast to follow

I'm a runner. Not a good or a fast runner, but I try to get out several times a week. And when I do, I've found that there is nothing like a good podcast to take my mind off of the fact that I'm not a very good runner.

For those of us that work with, appreciate, study, or just want to know more about insects, Radio Lab is one of the best "easily accessible" podcasts that I've come across. Part of what I like is that they often feature insects as their subject.  With the coming emergence of the cicadas, two recent shows have focused on the 2013 brood.  There's this one that talks about entomophagy (the eating of insects), and this one that breaks the sound that you hear into individual songs of the cicadas.  For while you and I might just hear a steady buzz when the cicadas are out, the insects themselves hear a distinct mating call, based on species, and the females have a very definite response.

Other cool Radio Lab insect-influenced podcasts are these:
So whether you plug your i-pod into your truck or just find the show on your local public radio station, this podcast is a good way to pick up on some quick (and fun!) insect information to share with your friends and customers.