Distinguished Service Award to the Certification Program
The purpose of this award is to encourage, recognize, and reward outstanding contributions to the ESA Certification Program and the professionalism of entomology.
Dr. Rebecca Baldwin is an associate professor and is the undergraduate coordinator for the University of Florida (UF) Entomology and Nematology Department. She became interested in entomology as a child through the 4-H club in Ouachita Parish, Louisiana, and shares her love of entomology and education by directing the UF Entomology Education and Outreach Program (The Bug Club), by mentoring and advising students, by volunteering for the Entomological Foundation, and by teaching general education and introductory entomology courses to undergraduates. Her research program focuses on entomology education and integrated pest management tools for crawling insect control. Outside of the classroom, Rebecca provides CEU and recertification training for educators, pest control operators, and mosquito managers, as well as for pest management associations. Rebecca is a Board-Certified Entomologist, serves on the ESA Education and Outreach Committee, and is on the Board of Directors for the Entomological Foundation. Rebecca regularly provides workshops for pest managers who aspire to become Associate Certified Entomologists.
Rebecca holds a Ph.D. from the University of Florida, where her research focused on people’s perceptions of pest management and integrated pest management of cockroaches using fatty acid salts. She received her B.A. and M.S. degrees in biology from the University of Louisiana Monroe. She lives in North Central Florida, where she and her husband Richard are active members of Westside Baptist Church.
Ace Professional Award
The purpose of the award is to recognize superior contributions of an ACE in the field of structural pest management.
Alan Feuer, ACE, is currently the technical director and lead ACE for Preventive Pest Control (PPC), Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Alan began his career in pest management in 1989 following a tour in the U.S. Marine Corps. Alan’s current duties include training and development for technical/sales/customer service support personnel for PPC as well as designing service protocols and SOP in support of pest management operations.
Alan serves as the PPC liaison to the Greater Albuquerque Association of Realtors (GAAR), where he currently is serving as the Affiliates Committee chairman, and is a certified instructor for the New Mexico Real Estate Commission (NMREC). He is also the current secretary/treasurer and training coordinator for the New Mexico Pest Management Association (NMPMA) and is the 2017-2018 chair of the Wood Destroying Organism (WDO) Committee of the National Pest Management Association (NPMA).
Outbound training is one of Alan’s passions, and he is blessed to be able to spend about 20% of his time instructing or preparing classes for GAAR, NMREC, NMPMA, or other local groups. His latest investment is to partner with property managers and elder care providers in the realm of better understanding how to best avoid or mitigate bed bugs in the homes of the most financially/physically/resource-challenged members of our community.
Alan wants to thank all of his mentors from NMPMA for their wisdom, counsel, and encouragement, and also the industry instructors, vendors, and manufacturers who invested in providing training and education to the pest management industry in New Mexico.
Student Certification Award
This award recognizes and encourages outstanding entomology graduate students with interest in the mission of the ESA certification program.
Lina Bernaola was born in Lima, Peru. She received her B.S. in biological sciences and a minor in molecular biology from Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Peru. Her professional experience, as well as her passion in the world of plants, began when she joined the International Potato Center (CIP) in Lima to perform her undergraduate thesis. Based on this experience, Lina joined Louisiana State University (LSU) to pursue her M.S. in agronomy and crop sciences. Currently, she is a Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Entomology at LSU under the supervision of Dr. Michael Stout. Her research interests include plant-insect and plant-pathogen interactions as well as host plant resistance. Her project involves investigations of the mechanistic basis of plant resistance against above-ground and below-ground organisms in rice. Primarily, she studies the effects of mycorrhizal fungi, a symbiotic soil-borne organism, on rice resistance to insect herbivores. The ultimate goal of Lina’s research is to provide a better understanding of plant-insect-mycorrhizae interactions in rice pests of Louisiana, which will help to develop more effective pest management programs in rice. Lina has been actively involved in the Entomological Society of America since 2013. She has presented her research at several national and Southeastern Branch meetings. She also enjoys conducting educational outreach about insects to kids with the Entomology Club at LSU.
Thursday, September 7, 2017
The ESA Certification Corporation is pleased to announce the winners of the 2017 awards:
Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Friday, August 18, 2017
How is it already the middle of August? We've got some new ACEs and BCEs to welcome- including the first ACE-International in Sweden! Please help us in congratulating these folks who have earned their certification since Mid-July
- Mr. James Brixius, ACE, (Rentokil/Ehrlich), Fort Lauderdale, FL. Certified on August 8, 2017
- Mr. Robert Charles Snyder, ACE, (Target Specialty Products), Tempe, AZ. Certified on August 8, 2017
- Mr. Gary R. Simpson, ACE, (Western Pest Control), Sacramento, CA. Certified on August 8, 2017
- Mr. Jeffrey Paul Smith, ACE, (Rentokil Steritech), Sacramento, CA. Certified on August 8, 2017
- Mr Brian Keith Redenius, ACE, (Gillen Pest Control), Richmond, TX. Certified on August 5, 2017
- Mr. Gerald Sanders Jr, ACE, (Arrow Exterminators), Ovilla, TX. Certified on August 3, 2017
- Mr. Brandon Thorstenson, ACE, (Interstate Pest Management), Kelso, WA. Certified on July 6, 2017
- Mr. Hakan Kjellberg, ACE-I, (Anticemix), Stockholm, Sweden. Certified on August 7, 2017
- Dr. Eric P Benson, BCE, (Clemson University), Clemson, SC. Certified on July 14, 2017
Wednesday, July 19, 2017
Summer keeps chugging along, and we've got some new ACEs and BCEs to welcome. Please help us in congratulating these folks who have earned their certification since Mid-June.
- Mr. Lorenzo Jackson Llamas, ACE, (Western Exterminators), Anaheim, CA USA. Certified on 6/20/2017
- Mr. Kenneth O. Howard, ACE, (Allgood Pest Solutions), Dublin, GA USA. Certified on 5/22/2017
- Mr. Steven Matthew Swope, ACE, (Presto X), Springfield, MO USA. Certified on 5/21/2017
- Dr. Jamel Sandidge, BCE, (Rockwell Labs LTD), Mc Louth, KS USA. Certified on 6/27/2017
- Mr. David Lawrence Bradt III, BCE, (Oklahoma State University), Stillwater, OK USA. Certified on 6/18/2017
Monday, June 19, 2017
Whoa ... where did the Spring go? We're playing a little catch up here at ESA. Just because we fell behind, doesn't mean that we're any less proud of our newest ACEs and BCEs. Please help us in congratulating these folks who have earned their certification since mid-February.
- Mr. Christopher James Quinn, ACE, (Target Specialty Products), Hampden, MA USA. Certified on 2/8/2017
- Mr. James V. Hearity, ACE, (Residex LLC), Roselle, NJ USA. Certified on 2/10/2017
- Ms. Teresa Renee Colella, ACE, (Eden Advanced Pest Tech / Rentokil), Olympia, WA USA. Certified on 2/20/2017
- Mr. William J. Graham, ACE, (IFC Services of California), Orange, CA USA. Certified on 2/21/2017
- Mr. Sean Koch, ACE, (Steritech), Douglasville, GA USA. Certified on 2/22/2017
- Mr. Bob Andrews, ACE, (Central Michigan Pest and Wildlife Mgmt), Coleman, MI USA. Certified on 2/22/2017
- Mr. Andrew Peterson, ACE, (North Shore Pest Control, Inc.), Bloomingdale, MI USA. Certified on 2/22/2017
- Mr. Joshua David Reed, ACE, (Griffin Pest Solutions), Kalamazoo, MI USA. Certified on 2/22/2017
- Mrs. Christina Lynn Buell, ACE, (Griffin Pest Solutions), Kalamazoo, MI USA. Certified on 2/22/2017
- Mr. James Dennis Johnson, ACE, (Arrow Exterminators / Naders Pest Raiders), Ponte Vedra Beach, FL USA. Certified on 2/24/2017
- Mr. Michael David Litsey, ACE, (Turner Pest Control), Jacksonville, FL USA. Certified on 2/27/2017
- Mr. Damian Niquette, ACE, (not provided), Round Rock, TX USA. Certified on 2/28/2017
- Mr. Timothy Ray Kendrick, ACE, (Waynes Environmental Services), Hoover, AL USA. Certified on 3/10/2017
- Mr. Brandon Scott Ryon, ACE, (Abc Home and Commercial Services), Malakoff, TX USA. Certified on 3/15/2017
- Mr. Paul Mazzenga, ACE, (Orkin Pest Control), Bensalem, PA USA. Certified on 3/22/2017
- Mr. Michael G. Raymond, ACE, (Orkin Pest Control), New Hyde Park, NY USA. Certified on 3/27/2017
- Mr. Kent Leigh Buchanan, ACE, (not provided), Amarillo, TX USA. Certified on 3/30/2017
- Mr. Charles R. Barton II, ACE, (Home Paramount Pest Control Co.), Forest Hill, MD USA. Certified on 3/30/2017
- Mr. Michael Swanson, ACE, (Preventive Pest Control), Albuquerque, NM USA. Certified on 3/30/2017
- Mr. Joseph Raymond Hoerl, ACE, (Preventive Pest Control), Albuquerque, NM USA. Certified on 3/30/2017
- Mr. Kyle Parker, ACE, (Preventive Pest Control), Albuquerque, NM USA. Certified on 3/30/2017
- Mr. Leverett Ashley James Hadlow II, ACE, (Preventive Pest Control), Albuquerque, NM USA. Certified on 3/30/2017
- Mr. Sidney George Busby, ACE, (Burnum-Hahn Exterminators), Tuscaloosa, AL USA. Certified on 3/30/2017
- Mr. Joseph Justin Hyland, ACE, (Modern Pest Services), Brunswick, ME USA. Certified on 4/19/2017
- Mr. Wade Elwyn Wilson, ACE, (Turner Pest Control), Jacksonville, FL USA. Certified on 4/24/2017
- Mr. Ronald Glen Coats, ACE, (Bill Clark Bugsperts Inc.), Beaumont, TX USA. Certified on 4/28/2017
- Mr. William Blake Grimsley II, ACE, (Arrow Exterminators), Columbus, GA USA. Certified on 4/29/2017
- Mr. Julio A Vazquez, ACE, (A-1 Exterminators), Lawrence, MA USA. Certified on 5/1/2017
- Mrs. Robin Dale Fragosa, ACE, (Orkin Pest Control), Livermore, CA USA. Certified on 5/2/2017
- Mr. Brad Allen Fischer, ACE, (Batzner Pest Control), New Berlin, WI USA. Certified on 5/2/2017
- Mr. Joshua Wesson Edwards, ACE, (Eco-Turf), High Springs, FL USA. Certified on 5/4/2017
- Mr. Philip Scott Smith, ACE, (Unemployed Certified Pest Control Operator), Mount Dora, FL USA. Certified on 5/4/2017
- Mr. Vernon Kenneth Carl Holliman, ACE, (Terminix), Manassas, VA USA. Certified on 5/4/2017
- Mr. Eric Sebring, ACE, (Western Exterminators), Phoenix, AZ USA. Certified on 5/4/2017
- Mr. Shamus Breau, ACE-I, (Pacific Pest Solutions), Aldergrove, BC Canada. Certified on 3/16/2017
- Mr. Kurtis Jon Brown, ACE-I, (Associated Victoria Pest Control, Ltd.), Victoria, BC Canada. Certified on 3/16/2017
- Dr. Kevin R Ulrich, BCE, (University of Maryland - College Park), Washington, DC USA. Certified on 2/23/2017
- Ms. Sonal Nagla, BCE, (Rentokil Canada Pest Control Ltd), Mission, BC Canada. Certified on 4/12/2017
- Ms. Laura M. Krueger Prelesnik, BCE, (Orange County Mosquito and Vector Control District), Garden Grove, CA USA. Certified on 5/4/2017
Thursday, February 23, 2017
In mid-February, the Entomological Society of America welcomed its newest staff member, Willet Hossfeld, certifications program manager. Willet will play a lead role in the facilitation and growth of the ESA Board Certified Entomologist and Associate Certified Entomologist programs, so he’s a person that current and future BCEs and ACEs should get to know. Learn more about Willet in the Q&A below.
Where are you coming to ESA from?
Prior to joining ESA, I was with the National Association of Home Builders, where I worked on growing the federation’s membership, before which I was with the Consumer Technology Association, where I oversaw the SmartHome and Vehicle Technology divisions and worked on educational and promotional campaigns. I’ve worked in the nonprofit and association sector for about four years now and have grown to appreciate all the effort and resources that volunteers put back into their industries.
How will your association management background serve the ACE and BCE programs?
While at the Consumer Technology Association, I oversaw the Mobile Electronics Certified Professionals (MECP) Program, and I have experience in overseeing maintenance-of-certification programs with medical specialty societies. Through this work, I gained an appreciation for the importance of certification: both to differentiate oneself from the competition and peers, as well as demonstrate to clients a dedication to providing the best service possible. I look forward to taking these previous experiences and working to build on the success of both programs. I am very excited about the potential for ACE’s and BCE’s growth.
What is your experience with certification in your own life?
I grew up in a very much DIY house—the thought being that you could trust your own work better than that of someone who wasn’t inherently invested in the job. When my wife and I bought our house, though, there were a number of jobs that needed to be addressed before we could move in that were well outside of the scope of my capabilities. We wanted to ensure that things were done right. Since I had worked with a voluntary certification program (MECP), I knew that people who seek those certifications do so to gain a deeper knowledge of their field and understand the root cause of an issue, rather than just the surface. The contractors that we used for HVAC repair, mold remediation, and more all had additional certifications in their field, something that I sought out. They all took the time not just to tell me what was going to be fixed and how much it would cost but also to explain what was causing the issue, how to prevent it from reoccurring in the future, and why they chose the course of action that they did. Giving me that extra information allowed me to investigate and understand better. The extra step that these contractors provided gave me peace of mind that they were indeed invested in providing the best service possible.
How will you begin to learn about entomology, pest management, and related science?
I got to tour the Smithsonian’s entomology collection on my second day on the job, and I learned so much from that. I have also been reading back-issues of the various entomology journals and Googling everything I can to learn more about insects and their role in our environment. When it comes to pest management, I am trying to organize a ride along with one our ACE certified PMPs to understand the day-to-day of the job. I think this will be a great opportunity to get a strong understanding of how being an ACE helps PMPs do their job better.
What did you think of the Smithsonian tour?
This was probably the coolest ‘second day on the job’ activity I have ever gotten to experience. The tour at the Smithsonian was amazing. Seeing all of the work that goes into maintaining their collection of 35 million verified specimens and getting to see some of them up-close definitely sparked an interest in me, and I am eager to learn more about the field of entomology and learn more about what our members do.
What’s one more interesting or unique thing about you that you want to share?
I always have a hard time with these kinds of questions; I always feel a little uncomfortable talking about myself. I’ve travelled extensively throughout South America and am relatively fluent in Spanish, and I can speak a little bit of Brazilian Portuguese. In 2007, I co-organized a nonprofit to educate people on alternative fuel vehicles. A few friends and I converted a 1959 Mercedes Diesel to run on waste vegetable oil and competed in La Carrera Pan Americana, a vintage car race through Mexico. Our plan had been to collect waste oil from local restaurants and hotels to fuel the car and compete (very slowly) in the race. Unfortunately, our support truck broke down and we were not able to finish. One day, we hope to return and complete the race, proving the viability of waste oil as a fuel. When I’m not at work, I enjoy cooking, sailing, and spending as much time outside as possible.
Please join us in welcoming Willet to ESA, and feel free to contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-696-3769.
Friday, February 17, 2017
Please help us congratulate the latest to earn their ACE, ACE-International, and BCE certification. The programs continue to grow with great strength. These professionals can now wear the ACE, ACE-I, and BCE designations with pride. If you would like to join their ranks, find more information on the programs through the links above.
- Mr. Bernard Albert Buttone, Jr, ACE, (Triangle Pest Control), Holly Springs, NC USA. Certified on 1/20/2017
- Mr. Anthony R. Iverson, ACE, (Orkin Pest Control), West Valley City, UT USA. Certified on 1/24/2017
- Mr. James Eugene Chittick, Jr, ACE, (Orkin Pest Control), West Valley City, UT USA. Certified on 1/24/2017
- Mr. Bradley K. Scott, ACE, (Dayton's Pest Control), Knoxville, TN USA. Certified on 2/3/2017
- Mr. Mwandacha Maganga, ACE-I, (Abell Pest Control), Aldergrove, BC Canada. Certified on 1/24/2017
- Mr. Julian Compton, ACE-I, (Cannon Services), Markham, ON Canada. Certified on 1/28/2017
- Dr. Vernard R. Lewis, BCE, (University of California - Berkeley), Berkeley, CA USA. Certified on 1/20/2017
- Mr. Jesse T. Hoteling, BCE, (Rentokil NA), Scottsdale, AZ USA. Certified on 1/23/2017